Sunday, April 5, 2009

First tast of raw goat milk!!! MMMM



Ok so its been a long weekend. Went to pick up the goats and drop off a horse. The had not been milked in a couple days so Of the 2 goats still milking I am getting about 1 quart a day. Not as much as I had hoped but I'm hoping they don't completely dry up. I had my first glass of raw goat milk this morning. last nights milking was cold and in the fridge when my FIL came by, I made him my guinea pig. He tasted it and said it was ok so I finally tried it...mmmm...was pretty good. Was thicker than store bought and had a slightly different taste than store bought cow milk but I totally expected that. can not wait to get a couple more does in milk, so I can make that cheese. Right now we will only be getting barely enough that we use for drinking and such.

Today we went to look at some myotonic goats, I like them allot but still up in the air if that's the kind of buck I want. If we were raising a pure bred breed I would say definatly say yes but since we will be breeding for the meat market I'm thinking a boer is in need here for fast growth and adding more meat to our dairy does. But money is tight right now and I can not afford either just yet. My husband that has never really understood my wanting to homestead ways is very into the goats so this is nice. He was even tyring to figure a way to buy the Boer mix that we really want to add muscle to our herd.

Here is some pics of the new goats enjoy....




And the 2 milking girls, a saanen and a Lamancha mix...








We also had some jumbo cotornix quail start hatching....



No comments:

Post a Comment