Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Life of a Milk Maid

Well it has been 11 days since I have picked up my milking goats, I have gone from just under 2.5 pints 1X a day to 4+ pints 2X a day. So I am up to about a gal a day! It has been a learning curve for me however, I started out feeding alfalfa pellets since there were no alfalfa in small bales to be found. However yesterday I was able to get some small alfalfa bales and wow what a difference in production and taste. The rest of the milk from the alfalfa pellets will be used to make soap. I will let you know how that goes, my yogurt was a flop but I will try that again soon. I am currently waiting ever so patiently for my order from Hoager supply to arrive today. It will have my milk pail with lid, a strainer, and all the stuff I need to make cheese as well as the udder care kit. I do have to stop at Bluestem today to get more half Gal jars and some more lids, I have milk coming out my ears!

Today when I took Annabell out to milk, I got her on the stand and started to milk, I heard a ruckus from Lacy in the stall and as I turned around she came bounding up to the milk stand, she managed to jump out! Of course this pisses Annabell off, she does not like to share her grain so I had a fight going on on the milk stand, I managed to grab the milk and save it then grabbed a rope and tied up Lacy till I was done with Annabelle. Wow that was exciting. I know what my next project will be, make the stall wall Higher! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment