Saturday, March 21, 2009

Will more people garden? Will they be able to?

So the Obamas now have a garden. Kudos for them. Although I did not vote for him nor do I like anything he has done yet I do think its great that Michelle is putting in a garden. Even if staff will tend to it I think it will wake people up to the fact that having a garden is not "hick". I personally think this country really needs to wake up and people need to take more responsibility for their own food. Anyone can have a couple tomato or pepper plants on the balcony and a few rabbits or quail in the garage. I also think more towns and cities need to allow small livestock I mean seriously a small milk goat or 2, or a flock of 5 hens would be less a nuisance than most peoples dogs. And not as smelly normally.

I have been reading up on the new bill HR 875 this sounds kinda scary to me. You can read the bill for yourself here http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875
The way I'm reading is that even a couple tomato plants in the back yard or your 2 pet chickens would be affected by this. I cant believe they are really trying to pass this and think it would be "good" for the US. People need to be able to grow their own foods, we should not have to rely on GM foods or big Ag business to ruin our health. There is nothing better than tasting the chicken that you have grown naturally on your own farm that met its demise in a quick human way. The cow you bought to butcher that has spent its whole life on grass in a big pasture. Or biting into that huge juicy tomato you just picked from your garden 5 minutes ago. The bill is way to broad and can be construed so many ways that's its not even funny. Please contact your senators and tell them respectfully how bad this would be for the US.

I did get 2, 50ft rows of potatoes and 3, 30 ft rows of peas planted today. I will be able to till up the rest of the garden and plant some snow peas, spinach, kale and cabbage and broccoli tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment