Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Menagerie

Went down near Witchita last weekend and picked up another Black Silver fox doe and a trio of Blanc de Hotots. The Hotots are very pretty, not as nice as the Silver fox but with a bit more handling they will be fine. They are all adjusting well and every one is eating and drinking well. I am planing on breeding my Blue Silver Fox pair first part of May, cant wait to get some baby buns around here.



I am also beginning to think about what fruit trees Id like to put out on the farm, I'm thinking apple, peach and pears. Would also like to start some raspberries and blue berries this spring but I'm not sure I will start those till we move out there. Our plans are to be out living on the farm by next summer. Seems so far off but I hope it will be here before I know it and in the mean time there is plenty of work to be done, more pens to fence, trees to plant, trees to clear out, and lots of stuff to burn. Will also start building some movable chicken coops to start housing the separate breeds of chickens in. I have decided that most of the breeds I'm getting from the hatcheries will be put into my mixed flock, anything I want to breed and hatch will be from breeders with quality stock. I will however raise some RIR and Barred Rocks for hatching and selling to local folks for meaties and layers. I will have a nice pen of Blue/ black Orps, Salmon Favorells, Buckeyes, Speckled Sussex, will work on Lavender silkies and Lavender Orpingtons.



I should get in the mail tomorrow my doz of Midget white turkey eggs and Jumbo quail eggs so Ill be adding them to my list of Breeds to raise. Yes I'm getting quite the poultry menagerie. But they are all use full animals with a purpose on my little homestead.



Here Is my new Hotot Buck
Pretty Little guy isn't he? The Hotots are all only 10 weeks right now but will be breeding them in the Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment