Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Geting my Worm bin ready and starting seeds

Well I ordered 1 lb of red wiggler (Eisenia Foetidas) worms. I got a rubbermaid tub, drilled some holes in the bottom and around the top. First I put a peice of cardboard in the bottom then added some compost from my horse manure pile and some leaves and shredded newspaper (only black and white, no color ink). I then wet it down to moisten and set it by my plants where it is awaiting its new arivals. I chose this worm becouse Im just interested in the vermiculture and not in fishing worms. Just eating machines.

I have also started some more seeds. Some of my seeds such as the bush cucumbers and Tigger melon are an experiment to see just how I can or if I can get them to grow well in containers. We will see.

I will be going to Sutherlands tomorrow and will be geting a couple more shop lights and grow bulbs to get my spare room set up and ready when the seeds start to sprout. I will also be geting a shorter long tub to seed with radishes and carrots and anouther for spinich and kale. I will be doing more research to find out what can be planted together in the same tubs. Once I do Ill post about what and why I planted what together. I will also be updating with pics as I go. Here is my table with my starts on it. I also have a heat lamp as well as grow lights on it. the room they are in is cold so thats the reason for the heat lamp. I am also going to find a longer chain so I can lower my growlights and raise them again later. The long tray in the back ground is wax beans, left them siting in a window with little light for too long. Finaly got my grow lights and they look much beter than they did, I still have hope for them.

As you can see I made mini greenhouses with 1 gallon baggies, Very cool Idea I got from pioneerliving on youtube. I marked what is in the seed trays as well as the date planted.






No comments:

Post a Comment