Saturday, February 7, 2009

Made a compost bin!


Its amazing just how much "homesteading" I can do on my city lot. I am doing so much right here I don't know what I'm going to do once we move over to the 3.5 acres we bought. I put up a dog pen around my back door today to let my 2 yorkies out to play. this way they can be outside even if we are not. I think they love it. We also got my compost pile started. I had about a 25 ft 6ft tall piece of wire mesh fence that I used to make 3 sides of it. the other side was left open to make it easier to turn and mix the pile. I added a bunch of dried dead leaves and rabbit droppings mixed with sawdust. I wet it down and stood back to admire my work, never thought Id be excited about a pile of leaves and manure.

My seedlings are starting to pop up, Think I planted way to many tomatoes for 2 people, I have about 50 big boy tomato plants started as well as several cherry and tiny tim tomato's. My blue lake bush beans and Kale is starting to pop up also.

I got a check in the mail for sutherlands for 86$ the other day to be used at sutherlands from our Friends reward card. Was a nice little surprise. I went in but they did not have their garden stuff in yet, said it would be in this weekend and they are having a big sale on it starting Tuesday so I know where Ill be Tuesday! Going to get a couple more grow lights also to transform my spare room into an indoor garden until spring arrives.

My worms will be sent out on Monday and I called and added a lb of African nightcrawlers. I know when we fished last year we paid 3-4$ for a doz bait worms so I thought it would be nice to grow our own and sell to local folks around here.

It had got up to 70 degrees today and I'm hopefull it stays nice enough tomorrow to get some more stuff done outside. More city homesteading to come tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment