Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hatching eggs, im geting spring fever!

Update I just added a doz blue turkens (naked Necks) to hatch with whats already on its way. So I should have if all goes well blue turkens and marans for my 2 pens of purebreds. and then of course Ill have my mixed flock, not sure yet if I will keep a pen of RIR and bared rocks also or put them in my mixed flock. Just depends how much time and funds I have to make new pens.

So I wanted to hatch some eggs and get ready for spring, I was only going to pull out one of my Little Giant incubators but you know how that goes, I had to pull them both out. I use the basic LG modle no fan and no tuner so its all by hand but I have pretty good hatch rates in them. So I am geting a doz B/B/S marans eggs, a doz Cuckoo marans eggs, 18 barred rocks, 12 RIR, and 2 Dz heavy breed mixed eggs. Im going to be buisy here. They should all be ariving in the next couple of days so I hope to have them all set by Mon. The count down is on! Over 6 doz eggs I should end up a 3-4 doz chicks with in the next month. Also I decided I want some Buff dewlap Toulouse geese eggs so when they become available around March or so I will be tring my hand at hatching goose eggs.

I also got my order placed with Cackle Hatchery so Ill be geting some Naked Necks, Easter Eggers, Blue sweedish ducks, toulouse geese and Narragansett tukeys. They will be here in April so I have plently of time to work on my waterfowl pen and get a big kiddy pool for them. I will also make a sepret pen for the turkeys. Any extra males will go in the freezer so It looks like Goose and Turkey for christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment